Monday, March 24, 2008

The most transforming technological event since fire

The computer. I've often heard the power of the computer compared to the power of the printing press, but I've not heard the comparison between the computer and fire. Wow. That's a pretty powerful statement. I wonder if I agree.

Well, what has the computer transformed? It's transformed the cars we drive, the banking we do, the restaurants we frequent, even the car wash I use. It's transformed our ability to get up-to-the-minute information. Right? Now we have information overload. It's transformed the way architects design, the way music is distributed, even online shopping has transformed peoples' lives. Now it doesn't matter if you live in the middle-of-nowhere...you can even shop for designer shoes if you want.

It's transformed the way retail businesses do business - their inventory is always up-to-date, they know exactly how much money should be in the cash register, they know who has punched keys on any cash register (which is not really a cash register at all anymore - it's seriously a computer with a cash drawer...).

Although I can't remember all the institutions of a society, some of them are: government, religion, family, and education. I think that computers have transformed the way governments do business. I can complete my taxes online (well not really, but some people can!), add more money to my EZ-Pass account, or print out mailing labels for packages without ever stepping foot in the post office. From a religious perspective, the word is out on the web! Not only is information available about and from virtually any religious group - extremists included - but groups actively solicit new members online. Family is well represented on the web and I would wager to say the computers have transformed families. Communication is so much easier with email, blogs, and web pages. Of course if misused, that communication can be dangerous for families! Genealogical websites are at anyone's fingertips so digging for family dirt is just a keystroke away. That leaves education. Has education been affected by computers and technology? Oh absolutely! I remember how cutting edge I felt when I took an online course sometime in the mid 90's. It was such a thrill to plug into my phone jack with my 56k modem and "surf". Wow. Now people can get whole degrees online (as Ray pointed out in his comments about the University of Phoenix).

I guess the question is - is there anything that has not been touched by a computer? I'll have to give that one some thought. But I'm thinking that it really may have transformed our culture more than I even considered.

I just heard today that Bill Gates (whose billions can be attributed to the computer of course) was a major funding source for a program that is transporting millions of seeds to a vault somewhere in the Arctic to protect them from any disaster or doomsday type situation. His hope is that humans will still have a viable food source (that is of course, if they can get to the Arctic).

Oh- and on the topic of multimedia writing, I say "go for it." It's a fabulous opportunity to allow multiple intelligences to shine. I am not at all worried at the propsects of the "text" part of multimedia disappearing.

No comments: